Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Portrait of me, rendered in SVG, as a tag cloud of del.icio.us links

I started reading up on SVG somewhere around 2000 and 2002.

I had learned enough of it by 2002 to be able to generate GUI screen mockups in it.

Now someone has done some pretty cool stuff with SVG.

:
A little project that makes use of the excellent Textorizer, by Max Froumentin, and plays around with the unique qualities of SVG files (SVG or scaleable vector graphics is an XML flavor that renders, well, scaleable vector graphics...).The result is a cloud of hyperlinkable Del.icio.us text tags in the shape of (in this case) a self-portrait. We are what we link to... Why am I including it here? Well, it sort of gestures to art, and it is public...


If you take a look at the SVG that gets generated, it is not very complicated. Sort of lengthy, yes - but not very lengthy if you consider how much information is incorporated within the data.

Here is my portrait, expressed as an SVG tag cloud, embedded in this page. Whoops, the SVG does not include the hyperlinks in this version - sorry!



Bummer, you need to get Firefox 1.5 or later - this uses industry-standard SVG.



Here is the original portrait as a JPEG image - so you can compare, or in case the SVG did not show up in your browser for some reason.

John decked out in dark attire

Here is a hyperlink to the SVG version of the portrait.

Here is the list of tags I used:

basic
c
c++
css
fortran
html
java
javascript
linux
macintosh
pascal
proglog
svg
unix
xhtml
xml
xsl-fo
xslt


I just input the link to my picture - and the tag list above - to a page entitled Textorizer - vectorize a picture using text strings. That page took care of generating the SVG document. The SVG it produced looks pretty clean, I have to say - after looking it over myself a bit.

The program that creates the SVG image from the JPEG image is called the SVG Textorizer Tool, by the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home